Thursday, May 20, 2010

1300 Miles of Ballet

In May 2010, Sarah and I conceived of a very un-ordinary road trip in which we would drive down the West Coast of the US from Issaquah, WA down to San Diego, CA and back and hit up as many ballet classes as humanly possible along the way. Our reason for making this trip in the first place? Our great friends Jess and Eric were getting married in Fullerton, CA! Speaking in retrospect, the ceremony/reception was really the most beautiful, happiest event of its kind I'd ever experienced. So much good-will concentrated in a tiny spot I had never felt before. But more about that later.

The original idea of "1300 Miles of Ballet" was to document the entire journey in analog diaries and then publish it in digital form. However, the overall ballet experience in terms of ballet education down the West Coast turned out to be so dismal and depressing that I find I have not the heart to share it with others. Why remember a bad thing? In compromise, I will post fragments, rays of happy thoughts, and images that I scribbled along the way.