Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dance Theatre Northwest, Tacoma, WA

Today marks the lowest point in our journey through ballet studios down the coast. The open adult advanced beginner class at DTNW was a joke-- a big, fat farce. It depressed me to be inside that tiny studio with adults prancing around making a joke of ballet.

"It's not a joke. It's an art. And you're ruining it for me," I wanted to say. It's not tango. I can show you what tango is, in fact. The entire experience was beyond horrible. The only good thing about it was that it was "only" an hour long class.

PEP TALK:

I have a theory. I have a theory that the farther south we go, the better and better the ballet classes will get. Come tomorrow when we cross state lines into Oregon, we will feel better about the state of ballet education on the West Coast. Things will get better!

In fact, this is what journeys are like: They start out decently enough...hopeful enough. Then things get bad, then really bad, then you hit rock bottom. Only then do things start looking up.

I've got high hopes for San Francisco. San Diego should be extraordinary. A tiny part of me will miss home...Nothing like doing plies with poodles sniffing around at your feet. But the most of me is dying to move on down. Ain't nothing for me here but a pretty skyline!